1.6 Benefits Abuses and Limitations of Science and Technology:
There are many researches in the field of science which have been made over years.These scientific inventions and discoveries have affected human life in many aspects.
Through the discoveries we can gather and interpret data using computer technologies.This will lead us to new discoveries.
Think about it
Do you think that science and technology have improved your life?Think of the machines and appliances which run on electricity has brought us.What comes in your mind the life before the electricity was convenient than today.?Is there any harm with the use of electricity?Limitations of electricity?Discuss these questions and try to find answers.
From the example of electricity ,we can see that science and technology have brought great benefits to mankind.Science and Technology allows us to grow more food,live longer,make our lives more comfortable,communicate faster and farther,move from place to place with ease and explore outer outer space.
The discovery of new medicines can prevent or cure diseases,and inventions of machines which can be used in medical treatments enable us to live longer and healthier.
ABUSE AND MISUSE
However ,science and technology is a double edged sword.It can bring about negative effects as well.The generation of electricity using fossil fuels.e.g can lead to pollution which cause harm to human beings and environment.
At some times science and technology have been misused or abused by human beings.An example of abuse is the invention of and use of deadly weapons which are harmful to us and environment.We must there fore use science and technology with care and responsibility.
TRY IT OUT
Have you ever heard of Noble prize?It is named after Alfred Noble,the inventor of Dynamite,who left much of his wealth to the establishment of Noble Prize.How have human beings misused the invention of Alfred Noble?You may use the Internet to help you find the answer.
In your discussion about electricity,did you find any limitations in the use of electricity?Is electricity able to provide us with enough energy so that we can turn night into day at a flick of switch?Is it reliable?Or do you experience power back outs every now and then?
Science and technology have their limitations too.They can not be used to solve all our problems and all our queries.We can use science and technology to reduce the damage caused by natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes,but we cannot prevent them from happenings .Can you give other examples to show the limitations of science and technology?
- Technology is the application of science.
- Science and technology can bring us great benefits.However,abuse and misuse can cause problems to human beings and the environment.
- Science and technology have limitations.
Uses and abuses of Science
First journey of science: The first scientist of the world was a prehistoric man. He used his brains to invent the simplest device to make his life less painful. Science started its humble journey from that day.
Science grew richer and richer and it has reached its golden age today. It has revolutionized man’s life so thoroughly that we like to cal this age the age of science. It is science that tells a modern man how to live.
Science is a mixed blessing. Though the basket of gifts of sciences is full to the brain, science has not been an unmixed blessing to man. If used property, science is helpful for us. If abused, science may become a threat to humanity.
Uses of science: We use countless gifts of science every day.
- Science has modernized our homes. Pressure cooker, gas ovens, washing machine, refrigerator have changed the look of our kitchen.
- Trains, buses, planes, motor cars, bicycles have made our journey quicker and more comfortable.
- The radio, Television (TV) adds to our knowledge and pleasure.
- Telephones, mobile-phones are important communication devices.
- Electric light, fan, air-conditioners, cooler,etc. make our life comfortable.
- Science has given us life saving drugs and medical facilities.
- Science has taught us how to use the gifts of nature.
Abuses of science: Man uses science for the bane of his fellow beings too.
- The industrial and vehicular pollution is a major harmful effects of the abusive usage of science.
- Man has used science to make deadly weapons.
- Two Great World wars killed a great number of people and destroyed big cities.
- Nuclear bombs can put the entire cities out of existence. The nuclear bomb, explosives, the hydrogen bomb, poisonous gas, missiles, chemical warfare, etc. are extremely destructive application of science.
- Man has become over-dependent on scientific equipment and devices.
- Children and adults wastes immense time and energy watching television and surfing the internet.
Conclusion: On one hand, science has given us the physical comfort. But, on the other hand, it has caused many problems for mankind. People have begun to fight against the misuse of science.